St Peter’s Episcopal Church in National Register of Historic Places
St Peter’s Episcopal Church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The Gothic Revival style church was designed in 1911, built in 1912, and formally dedicated in 1916. Located at 1 South Tschirgi Street in Sheridan, Wyoming, the building received the designation on May 21, 2013 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The history of the Episcopal church in Sheridan began in April 1891 when the first service was held. Three years later, a church was built on Tschirgi Street. As the church grew in congregation size, the new church was constructed and the first service was held in September of 1912. After the final construction debt was cleared, the church was formally dedicated in 1916.
The National Register of Historic Places
The National Register of Historic Places is the official federal list of districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects significant to American history, architecture, archaeology, engineering, and culture. These contribute to an understanding of the historical and cultural foundations of our nation. Authorized under the National Historical Preservation Act of 1966, the National Register is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect our historic and archaeological resources. The National Park Service provides overall program administration.